What is an elder at Riverview?
With a finger pointed in the direction of a man who embodies a proven and active life and ministry of multiplying discipleship we say, “Watch him live. That is an elder.” Afterall, if our leaders are not living it, why should we expect our members to embrace it? Riverview elders are selected for their quality of character, heart for Jesus and proven lifestyle as life-givers and kingdom laborers.
Elder ministry covenant
We believe in spiritual progress, not spiritual perfection. At the same time, one aspiring to shepherd God’s flock will be willing to submit to the high accountability required to serve in leadership according to the following Biblical standards:
- I confess Jesus Christ as my Lord and believe that God raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9, 10).
- I have tested myself against the biblical standard of character for an elder (1 Tim. 3, Titus 1).
- I am “above reproach.”
- I am loving, honoring, and discipling my family first (I Timothy 3:4, 5; Titus 1:6).
- I am able to transfer spiritual truth to others (1 Timothy 1:2; Titus 1:9; John 21:15-25).
- I aspire to participate with the plurality of the elders providing gracious wisdom in decision-making affecting the church’s present and future (Acts 20:28, I Peter 5:2, 3).
In addition to the above Biblical standards, a Riverview elder must demonstrate commitment to our unique ministry in his current lifestyle by being able to say:
- I am living the four Life-giving Practices consistently and seeing life change as a result.
- I am consistently participating in my Life Group and leading or moving toward leadership of a group of my own, with the intention of multiplying that group soon.
- I practice a “Pray & Watch” lifestyle which, by definition, includes “Kingdom Prayer” and “Total Community Immersion.”
- I not only participate in Riverview’s gathered worship, but I am a “walking worshiper.”
- I am returning the Lord’s tithe to Riverview.
- I commit to personally living out the mission and seven core values of Riverview.
- I affirm my unreserved belief in the ten points of the Riverview (EFCA) Statement of Faith.
- I have read and affirm that I will abide by Riverview’s constitution and bylaws.
- I am praying for the expanding impact of Riverview through the multiplying of Life Groups and Live-giving churches locally and globally.